Standards are an agreed way of doing things. They give organizations a set of tools with the potential to help them perform better and compete strongly. Organizations that implement standards wisely can boost profits, cut costs, kick-start growth and reduce the risk of things going wrong. A business may start with ISO 9001 Quality Management System, then add ISO 14001 Environmental Management System and then ISO 50001 Energy Management System. As all the ISO standards have a common structure and requirements, they form an Intergrated Management System, allowing a business to utilise the same processes across multiple standards.The British Standards Institute (BSI) and the International Standards Institute (ISO) produce, maintain and update the standards. The standard documents themselves are copyrighted to the ISO via BSI in the UK. It is highly recommended for your business to purchase an offical copy of any standard you wish to achieve, such as ISO 50001:2018, directly from the BSI.
Introduction to ISO 50001
For businesses committed to addressing their impact, conserving resources and improving the bottom line through efficient energy management, the ISO 50001 standard was developed. Designed to support businesses and any other type of organisation in all sectors, this ISO standard provides a practical way to improve energy use, through the development of an energy management system (EnMS).
We can assist your business to implement an energy management system, the processes, procedures, and documentation, in line with the guidance of ISO 50001:2018. Your business may then be certified to ISO 50001:2018 as part of your business quality process.
If your business has over 250 employees, to comply with Article 8, the UK Government set out the Energy Savings Opportunity Scheme (ESOS). This requires large businesses to have a plan as to how to manage and reduce energy.
Review your business energy management processes against the best practice energy management system – ISO 50001:2018.
Our ISO 50001 Gap Analysis Tool
Working with your business we will;
- Define the applicable scope of Energy Management System.
- Review the detailed requirements of ISO 50001:2018
- Prepare a project programme to achieve the requirements.
- Create the necessary documents, including an energy policy.
- Create an Energy Risk and Opportunity Register.
- Create an Energy Interested Party (Stakeholder) Register.
- Prepare data collection and implementation plan.
- Review your staff competence and identify training needs.
- Identify Significant Energy Use systems and KPIs.
- Set up the necessary implementation process
- Set up the necessary senior management review process.